내용적으로나 기술적으로나 CG의 적절한 활용예라고 보여집니다. 그냥 미니어쳐 안에 인물을 박아놓은 합성 작업이라고 단순히 생각해선 안될 것같구요. 미니어쳐로 구성된 세계안에 실제인간의 사진이 미니어쳐되어있다는 아이러니도 재미있지만, 그 구성된 풍광자체가 다시 현실을 시뮬하고 있다는 것이 매우 재밋습니다. 실제 전시장에선 대형으로 프린트된 사진속 인물을 보면서 그냥 좀 기묘한 합성 풍경이라고 생각하다가, 현실속 미니어쳐가 뒤집어져 미니어쳐안에 현실이 갇혀 있는 꼴을 보면서 드러나는 여러 말거리 들에 대단한 흥미를 느끼게 되었습니다.

기술적으로도 사진안 두 소스의 광선처리나 컬러/톤 콘트롤에 있어서도 대단하다고 생각되고, 무엇보다 중요한 것은 드디어 "디지털로만 가능한, 디지털이라는 프로세스가 자체의 언어로서 기능하는" 작업들중 하나로 보인다는 것이 아닐까 합니다. 즉, 페드로 마이어 같은 디지털 작가들은 이미지 합성에 있어서, 사고하는 프로세스들이 어쩐지 제리 율스만 계열의 다큐멘터리적 어플리케이션(말이 되나..쩝) 이라고 생각되는 것처럼 보였다는 것이지요. 무언가 아귀가 맞고 정반합적인 의미를 도출해 내기위해 한곳으로 이미지를 끌어 올리는 듯한 느낌이라고 할까요.

그러나 이 경우의 합성은 CG의 합성만으로, 두가지 소스자체가 가지고 있는 것과 결과적으로 완전히 다른 의미를 나타내고 있고, 두 이미지의 결합 자체도 굉장히 생뚱맞은 구석이 많은 이색적인 합성입니다. 디지털이 갤러리에서 언어를 가진다면 이런 방식으로의 진행이 좀더 많은 담론/논의를 불러 일으킬 수 있지 않을까 생각됩니다..

관련기사 : http://www.wolganmisool.com/200104/international_01.htm

P.S : 물론 이 경우는 디지털을 이용한 미술이나 회화 쪽의 작업들과도 굉장히 다르게 보입니다. 디지털과 사회 사이에서 발생하는 시뮬/텍스트 적인 의미를 찾아내는 것과도 차별성을 보이구요.

p.s2 : 옛날에 프리첼 생각하는 사진관의 엔솔님과 이야기하다가 나온 말인데, 아마 이런 방식의 언어가 발달이 된다면 새로운 회화의 계승자가 되지 않을까 싶습니다. 디지털 포토는 외형상의 말일 뿐이고, 결국은 디지털 픽쳐로서 발달할 언어/프로세스로 진화해 나가리라는 예견을 가져봅니다.

p.s3 : 아래 글과 사진은 유럽에서 발행되는 줌이라는 사진 잡지 사이트에서 퍼왔으며, 이 작업들은 가나에서 개최한 제1회 사진영상페스티벌에서도 전시되었습니다. 앗참...옛날 하우 포토 게시물에 이 사진들을 올린 적이 있었습니다. 두번 보신 분들께는 죄송하다는 말씀을 드립니다.

A man is poised in thought atop a ridiculous heap of carefully-balanced furniture, looking out into the void at nothing in particular. A skinny boy with a full head of black hair fishes tranquilly, casting his long line into nothingness. Two men with respectable air stand relaxed surrounded by a nondescript setting that appears to be a strange dumping ground composed of scattered, gray, abandoned objects. All the individuals portrayed by Loris Cecchini (one of the young Italian photographers invited to the Venice Biennale) seem to live normal lives doing normal and banal things, heedless of the devastation that has hit their surroundings, branding them with a sense of absurdity and irreversible ruin. Something disconcerting is either about to happen or has already happened without the people involved being aware of the danger. Like all of us, these little figures lead peaceful, oblivious existences, while the Earth is transformed into a haunted landscape of deserts, genetically-modified plants, dumping grounds, dust and cement. Uncovering the secret behind Loris Cecchini's photos would seem easy. His rocky landscapes with their "super greenhouse effect" are, in reality, miniature sets filled with fake objects and small plastic toys, models in which he inserts - thanks to digital montage - candid street photographs of real people. In other words, he superimposes in a single image two conflicting levels of reality that intersect each other in an overlapping, problematic manner, never coinciding. This creates perceptional short-circuits, visual and temporal oxymorons suspended between a sense of playful atrocity and alienating familiarity, between all-too-real fictions and merely probable realities. The philosopher Paul Virilio, in describing the mechanism behind contemporary media, speaks of "stereo-reality", of "instantaneous overlapping of the actual image and virtual image" (Paul Virilio, <I>La bomba informatica</I>, Raffaello Cortina Editore, 2000, p. 113). If on one hand Loris Cecchini mimics this media device, on the other he diverts and shifts it until he succeeds in overturning it with a bitter, playful laugh. In fact, while the media superimpose the real and virtual levels until they become illusionistically identical, transparent and super-evident, in the works of Loris Cecchini, they appear divergent, open to paradox and double meaning. It would have been easy for him to pair his highly real characters with completely imaginary Star Wars-type settings. If he had, his work might have astounded us, but it would have seemed just another useless variation on what is widely found in the media. But he does not. Quite the contrary, he creates scenes of a haunting and futuristic urban entropy using playful objects, toys in spongy plastic suitable for teething infants, taking us back to our childhood days. But it is not a reassuring image of childhood because it is portrayed as a "mutant", not innocent, scene. In fact, it seems to have lost its ties with nature, populated only with playthings unable to make contact with history--a synthetic sampling of real existence in miniature. If, for a moment, we try to identify with his photos and his placid characters, we realize immediately that this is impossible. In reality, these peaceful figures unnerve us and appear estranged and alienated in the way they live as if totally unaware and deadened within a present that is paradoxical and indefinable, a destitute, haunting reality. Closer to the nonsensical world of <I>Alice in Wonderland </I>than the flat, virtual one of <I>The Truman Show</I>, Loris Cecchini's photographs do not aim at bringing into question the engaging sense of illusion created by the media that leads us to long for the days of a presumably lost authenticity. Rather, they foil the spread of that sense of uniformity and flatness in the contemporary world, not offering the opportunity for interpretations that are either immediate or profound, but rather are ambiguous, conflicting and loaded with an infinite number of cross-references. And so we discover ourselves in the midst of a sort of Moebius strip that prevents any type of perceptual identification. We find ourselves trapped inside a situation of confusion which, rather than paralyzing, invites us to "become part of the game" and travel along that uncertain yet propitious terrain of reflection void of consolatory solutions. <I>Gigliola Foschi <!-- This document created using BeyondPress(TM) 4.0.1 For Macintosh --></I>